(African American Family)
Contributed by Diane Payne
Emauel "Manuel" Overstreet was born about Jan 1841 in Mississippi. He married Charity. Charity was born about 1838 in Mississippi or Alabama. Charity died before 1900, probably in Jones Co., Mississippi.
According to the headstone at Ellisville City Cemetery Emauel Overstreet died 16 Feb 1899. However, he is listed in the 1900 census.
Known children for Manuel and Charity are:
- Mary born Dec 1857 in either Mississippi or Alabama. Mary married Henry Harry McGilberry. For more information see the McGilberry Family Contribution.
- Samuel born 1861 in Mississippi.
- Amanda Manda born 1865/1866 in Mississippi.
- Isabelle born 1867 in Mississippi.
- Ella Arabelle born Nov 1869/1875 in Jones Co., Mississippi. Married 1st to a Mr. Husband. Children: Willie born 1894, Fannie born 1895 and Claud born 1896. Married 2nd to Abner Alford.
- Everett born 1870 in Jones Co., Mississippi.
- Jane born 1873 in Jones Co., Mississippi.
- Cora born 1875 in Jones Co., Mississippi.
- James A. born Sept 10, 1881 in Jones Co. Mississippi. He married Nancy Evans (daughter of Samuel Evans & Amelia Washington) on Aug 27, 1902 in Ellisville, Jones Co., MS. They divorced in Covington Co, MS in 1916. James and Nancy had two children. 1.) Jessina Jessie Overstreet born June 1895 probably in Jones Co., Ms. Family history reports she died between 1917 and 1930. 2.) John Henry Overstreet born Jan 9, 1898 in Laurel, Jones Co., Ms. He died March 23, 1957 in Seattle, King Co., WA.
Jessina Overstreet (daughter of James and Nancy) married Welsey Shelton Parker. Known children are.
Pearl Lee Parker born 1914 in Ellisville, Jones Co., MS. Married Rev. Tilton Turner Richardson. Pearl died September 14, 1973 in Seattle, King Co. WA.
Ethel Lee Parker born 1916 in Louisiana. Married Joseph Rogers. Ethel died Aug 16, 1969 in Seattle, King Co. WA.
Eleanor Lee Parker born 1918 in MS. Married a Mr. Foster. Eleanor died May 27, 1974 in Seattle, King Co., WA.
Jiles or Giles Parker born 1919. Family history reports he died about before 1930.
John Henry Overstreet (son of James and Nancy) married twice. 1st to Georgiana about 1902 probably in Oregon. Married 2nd to Della Akins on May 11, 1936 in Umatilla Co., Oregon.
Return to the Jones County Main Page